January 11 - 16, 2013
'bringing art to the community and the community to art'
The Byron Arts Classic (BAC) is an exciting community visual art event that has become an integral part of the cultural fabric of Northern Rivers region. This exhibition, which supports and develops the careers of many local artists, is an outstanding success as it reaches, encourages and affects many within the community. It provides an opportunity for emerging artists to take their practice more seriously, and showcase their work alongside more established artists and be viewed by a large audience of locals and visitors from around the globe. The Byron Community Centre is transformed from top to bottom as it is filled with over 400 artworks from emerging and established visual artists. A capacity 500 people attended last year's opening and thousands came to view the artworks over the following 5 days. The Byron Arts Classic offers a rich 6-day celebration of inspiration, creativity and involvement in the visual arts.
The aims of the Byron Arts Classic are to:
- Showcase the diversity and quality of visual artists to the local community as well as overseas and interstate visitors.
- Encourage emerging and established visual artists of all ages.
- Foster networking between artists to support and encourage their talent.
- Hold an annual public event that provides an opportunity for first-hand engagement with the visual arts.
- Provide a platform that links together sponsors of the arts, artists, collectors and galleries.
- Financially assist artists of the region.
- Facilitate an artist in residence program.
Painting, Works on Paper, Photography, Sculpture
$2,000 Byron Shire Council Aquisitive Prize
$2,000 Jonno Howell Photographic Prize
$1,000 First Prizes (Painting, Works on Paper, Sculpture)
$200 Second Prizes (all categories )
$500 Youth Encouragement Award
$500 People’s Choice Award
plus Gallery Representation Award - The Channon Gallery
Peter Mortimore – Artist & Fine Art Teacher
Jude Mc Bean - Grafton Gallery Director
Dean Bruton - SCU Photograhy Lecturer
2013 Friends & Sponsors of the Byron Arts Classic
The Byron Community Centre and Byron Arts Classic Committee wish to acknowledge and thank Patrons, Partners and Friends for their generous support.
Patrons: Lyn Kirby; Andrew Hall; Jonno Howell Memorial Fund, Common Ground
Partners: Karin Kolbe; Jan Barham Friends: Christopher Lonergan – Town Planner
Sponsors: Byron Shire Council & the Mayors Fund, Southern Cross Credit Union, byronbay.com, Byron Bay Ballooning, Byron Art Supplies, The Balcony, Outdoor Gardens, Harvest Cafe, Santos, Community Table Cafe & Bar, Fox Creek Wines, Coopers & Byron Shire Echo and the many wonderfully helpful volunteers.